Home by RD Presents...
An Apartment Visit
with Noa Chupkov
This series is all about making the place you live more than just where you lay your head every night. In the past 2 years, we've all realized what a haven our home can be from the outside world. It's a place to put the noise on mute and to focus on comforts that make us feel good about ourselves and our lives; a place that we keep what's near and dear to us close.
Our resident graphic designer, Noa, recently gave us a tour of her new digs in the Outer Richmond. Described by her roommate, Adeline, Noa's style as "quirky, colorful and very much artsy-modern." Along with the tour, she gave us a few tips on how to make a spot feel like home, where to find the best furniture, and how to tidy up the place.
- Don't be tempted to make a one-and-done trip to IKEA for all your furniture needs. An eclectic mix of new and old gives a space so much character and a personal touch that is all you. "I look at Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace. Those are the realistic places to go, but for inspiration I'll look at Stuff on Valencia, Etsy & Chairish. They have really amazing things. But the lamp is from Facebook, the couch is Craigslist... everything is secondhand."
- Make a room look and feel instantly like home with the addition of plants and rugs. It immediately changes the vibe from being barely lived in to a place that is cozy and comfortable.
- When styling shelves, "things always look better grouped in three. Like, group together a book, a candle, and a plant. Things in a trio always look more complete. Height variation is important too."
- "Although I love a good tchotchke I am always reminding myself less is more. This isn't something I've always focused on when decorating but I think it can really make a space feel more mature & relaxing."
- "Do you want to feature the Dyson?" Noa's house is incredibly clean, and she's very proud of her vacuum cleaner. For some, cleaning may seem daunting and overwhelming, but Noa says she just makes sure that she's cleaning something everyday. "I don't really have a cleaning schedule, but I I'll wipe down the counters or vacuum. I'll maybe mop once a week...if I'm feeling ambitious."
Here are more photos from the apartment visit. Try to find some of the Rare Device products from this list: