Rare Device was created to help people find beautiful, unique and functional items for individuals of all ages. With two brick and mortar stores in San Francisco–one on Divisadero and Hayes and the other on 24th Street near Castro–and a growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers an opportunity to make a significant impact in a prominent and growing San Francisco-favorite local shop.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and serves as a gathering place for the diverse communities surrounding our two stores. To do this, we need a group of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service and teamwork.
We value our employees immensely, providing health benefits and professional development, giving each person the training and ongoing support needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond. Also, while not a requirement whatsoever to join our art-bent team, most Rare Device employees are creatives and we love this! We’re proud to support independent artists, including the people who work here. We have an annual staff show in our gallery to expose their talent and our artist staff members love that they get to learn the behind-the-scenes of wholesale and working with businesses.
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic Sales Associate to join our team. Job responsibilities include providing excellent customer service as well as other retail store tasks that come up.
This role offers 24-40 hours per week and fluctuates between our two locations. This is not a seasonal or summer position.
Customer Service & Retail Sales
- Ensure that customers feel cared for by greeting and assisting them and answering their questions
- Ensure that store is clean, well organized, properly stocked, and that products are meticulously displayed
- Ringing up sales including credit card and cash transactions
- Prepare for opening and closing the store
- Able to provide a warm and welcoming environment to customers
- Able to handle critical customer situations with ease
- Able to thrive in a fast paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership skills
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job
- Resourceful problem-solver and strong ability to resolve or smooth issues in the moment
- Must pay strong attention to detail and have excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and manage a variety of projects simultaneously, and ability to work in an interruption-prone environment.
- Must be available to work evenings, holidays and at least one weekend day per week
- 1+ years of retail sales experience
- Experience working in a small, independent store
- Experience with POS software/systems
- Proficient with Mac OS
Classification, Compensation & Benefits
- This is a regular, hourly position
- Competitive Salary
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance for full-time employees
- Paid time off for full-time employees
- Commuter benefit through Clipper
- Generous employee discount
- We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
General supervision provided by General Manager
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Standing for long periods of time
- Climbing stairs
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put "Sales Associate Application” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. We will consider every applicant, but we will only reply to applications that we feel are a good match.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.