Now Hiring: Plant Sales Associate
The Rare Device Plant Sales Associate is an organized and warm people-person that will welcome our customers, keep our stores looking great, and sell the amazing products that we carry.
We are looking for that special someone who will happily assist our customers, is enthusiastic about indoor plants, and help keep the store looking amazing throughout the day.
A little history and background about Rare Device: our company was created to help people find beautiful, unique, and functional items for individuals of all ages and to uplift and support budding and established artists as professionals with important talent to share with the world.
With a thriving brick and mortar store in San Francisco and a fast-growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers opportunities for exciting professional development and to make a significant impact in a prominent and ever-growing San Francisco-favorite local business.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and also serves as a gathering place for the diverse community surrounding our store. To do this, we assemble a team of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service, excellent work habits, and collaboration with our entire team.
We value our employees immensely, providing health benefits and focused, meaningful professional development, giving each person the training and ongoing support needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
As our Plant Sales Associate, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be a systems thinker, able to jump in and develop solutions where needed. People who are not self-starters, not flexible, not open to feedback, nor great communicators need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are passionate about plants, aesthetics, and you work well with others.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who has a talent for striking up genuine conversations with customers, is able to work in an interruption-prone environment, supports co-workers, and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Contributes to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company.
- Contributes to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed.
- Maintain a customer-focused sales floor, actively facilitating communication, helpful selling, and anticipation of customer needs to ensure customers feel cared for
- Offer customers exceptional problem solving and empathic service when issues or questions arise, empowered to be solution-oriented and exceed customer expectations.
- Answer questions about plant care, growth, and health. Ability to offer care advice and solutions to customers when needed. Plant care training will be provided.
- Strive to ensure that the store is clean, well organized, properly stocked and helps maintain product merchandising.
- Efficiently prepare for opening and closing the store.
- Help care for plant inventory and help ensure plant health is top-notch.
- Assist with other day-to-day store needs.
- Loves to engage with people, easily strikes up a conversation and makes a quick connection.
- Has a way with people, curious about what a customer truly needs and offers meaningful suggestions.
- Gains energy from customer service interactions.
- Resourceful problem-solver with a strong ability to resolve or smooth issues in the moment through empathy and creativity.
- Ability to anticipate both customer and store needs, all the while working well with others.
- Pays strong attention to detail and has excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in an interruption-prone environment.
- Self-motivated and timebound while on the sales floor, working autonomously with great follow-through.
- Seeks out feedback and are excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job.
- Has great communication skills and is a team player, assisting others in their efforts to deliver exceptional customer service and sales.
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and good sense of humor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership skills.
- 1+ years of retail sales experience
- Strong interest in indoor plants and their care
- Experience working in a small, independent store
- Basic handyperson skills a plus
- Experience with POS software/systems
- Proficient with Mac OS
Classification & Compensation
- This is a regular, full-time, exempt position
- The Plant Sales Associate will be expected to work at least one weekend day, as well as select evenings when community events are scheduled.
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance for full time employees
- Paid time-off for full time employees
- Commuter benefit through Clipper
- Generous employee discount
- We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
General supervision provided by Owner.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling, squatting
- Standing for long periods of time
- Climbing stairs and ladders
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Put “Plant Sales Associate” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. We will consider every applicant, but we will only reply to applications that we feel are a good match.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.