The Rare Device Store Manager is the supportive and organized linchpin that ensures our systems are working and that our staff is well supported –an expert at building and maintaining well-functioning teams and a master at taking care of the behind the scenes in our curated spaces.
We are looking for that special someone who will manage our team and store operations that is passionate about helping us scale our business to the next level through improved strategies, systems, and cultural development. This person is a self-defined professional growth junkie–asking for constructive feedback and applying it; a natural at providing direct, helpful, and inspiring guidance to all.
A little history and background about Rare Device: the store was created to help people find beautiful, unique and functional items for individuals of all ages. With two brick and mortar stores in San Francisco–one on Divisadero and Hayes and the other on 24th Street near Castro–and a growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers an opportunity to make a significant impact in a prominent and growing San Francisco-favorite local shop.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and serves as a gathering place for the diverse communities surrounding our two stores. To do this, we need a group of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service and teamwork.
We value our employees immensely, providing health benefits and professional development, giving each person the training and ongoing support needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond. Also, while not a requirement whatsoever to join our art-bent team, most Rare Device employees are creatives and we love this! We’re proud to support independent artists, including the people who work here. We have an annual staff show in our gallery to expose their talent and our artist staff members love that they get to learn the behind-the-scenes of wholesale and working with businesses.
As our store manager, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be a systems thinker, able to jump in and develop solutions where needed. People who are not self-starters, not flexible, not open to feedback, nor great communicators need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are a detail-oriented and organized problem-solver with a strong interest in and appreciation for art and aesthetics.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who has a talent for training, motivating, and supporting staff and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Supervise all sales floor employees and other select staff: observe and conduct weekly check-ins, and provide feedback, evaluation and ongoing professional development ensuring quality customer service, high energy, and overall performance.
- Inspire and motivate employees to do their best and support their learning and development where needed
- Plan and lead productive monthly staff meetings with input from owner
- Partner with owner to strategize application timeline and processes for each new position, and to develop hiring materials
- Recruit candidates for open positions
- Oversee training including maintaining our training program, training manuals and materials
- Train new and current employees
- Manage employee benefits program
- Approve timesheets and run company payroll
- Manage employee schedule
- Approve and track vacation time
- Notice, keep track of and manage all walk-in and online store operations without much direction or hands-on supervision from the store owner
- Serve as owner’s trusted partner, including overseeing all store matters when the owner is not working or is on vacation
- Manage day-to-day workflow in both store locations
- Ensure that stores are clean, well organized, properly stocked
- Oversee all company events, both internal and external
- Develop, maintain, and improve systems to ensure that projects and workflow are smooth and efficient
- Oversee all customer service needs including special and custom orders, repairs, online orders
- Work as a Sales Associate covering some shifts and lunch breaks throughout the week, to understand and support the store workflow and processes as well as the customer base.
- Able to handle critical customer situations with ease
- Ability to thrive in fast paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; writing and/or editing experience a plus
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership skills
- Ability to connect well with customers
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and good sense of humor
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job
- Ability to lead a staff team to work as a high-functioning group
- Ability to manage, motivate, and develop staff
- Strong professional judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality and build trust among staff at all levels
- Able to observe subtle employee behavior and moods and pick up on tenuous staff dynamics
- Must be a strong systems thinker with the ability to improve and develop new systems and processes to support workflow, quality teamwork, and staff communication
- Ability to think strategically, with big-picture perspective
- Resourceful problem-solver and strong ability to resolve or smooth issues in the moment
- Must pay strong attention to detail and have excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask and manage a variety of projects simultaneously, and ability to work in an interruption-prone environment.
- 1-3 years experience managing people, including managing individuals and a team
- Experience leading teams; experience moving projects work forward
- Skill at and experience with soliciting and implementing feedback to improve performance
- 2+ years retail experience
- Experience working in a small, independent store is a plus
- Training development/facilitation experience
- Familiarity with an array of workflow and project management techniques
- Experience with POS software/systems
- Basic handyperson skills a plus
- Proficient with Mac OS a plus
Classification & Compensation
- This is a regular, full-time, exempt position
- The Store Manager will be expected to work at least one weekend day, as well as select evenings when community events are scheduled.
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance for full time employees
- Paid time-off for full time employees
- Commuter benefit through Clipper
- Generous employee discount
- We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
General supervision provided by Owner.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Standing for long periods of time
- Climbing stairs
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Store Manager” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. We will consider every applicant, but we will only reply to applications that we feel are a good match.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.