Now Hiring: People & Operations Manager
The Rare Device People & Operations Manager is the supportive and organized linchpin that ensures our systems are working and that our operations staff is well supported –an expert at building and maintaining well-functioning teams and a master at taking care of the behind the scenes in our curated spaces.
We are looking for that special someone who will manage our team and daily operations that is passionate about helping us scale our business to the next level through improved strategies, systems, and cultural development. This person is a self-defined professional growth junkie–asking for constructive feedback and applying it; a natural at providing direct, helpful, and inspiring guidance to all.
A little history and background about Rare Device: our company was created to help people find beautiful, unique and functional items for individuals of all ages and to uplift and support budding and established artists as professionals with important talent to share with the world.
With a thriving brick and mortar store in San Francisco and a fast-growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers opportunities for exciting professional development and to make a significant impact in a prominent and ever-growing San Francisco-favorite local business.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and also serves as a gathering place for the diverse community surrounding our store. To do this, we assemble a team of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service, excellent work habits, and collaboration with our entire team.
We value our employees immensely, providing health benefits and focused, meaningful professional development, giving each person the training and ongoing support needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
As our People & Operations Manager, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be a systems thinker, able to jump in and develop solutions where needed. People who are not self-starters, not flexible, not open to feedback, nor great communicators need not apply. You are meant for this role if you value and uphold our company culture and will motivate our staff to do the same.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who has a talent for training, motivating, and supporting staff and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Supervise operations support staff: observe and conduct regular check-ins, and provide feedback, evaluation and ongoing professional development to ensure high quality customer service, high energy, and overall performance.
- Inspire and motivate employees to do their best and support their learning and development where needed
- Plan and lead productive monthly staff meetings with input from owner
- Partner with owner to strategize application timeline and processes for each new position, and to develop hiring materials
- Recruit candidates for open positions
- Oversee training including maintaining our training program, training manuals and materials
- Train new and current employees
- Manage employee benefits program
- Approve timesheets and run company payroll
- Manage employee schedule
- Approve and track vacation time
- Notice, keep track of and manage all walk-in and online store operations without much direction or hands-on supervision from the store owner
- Serve as owner’s trusted partner, including overseeing all store matters when the owner is not working or is on vacation
- Manage day-to-day workflow
- Develop, maintain, and improve systems to ensure that projects and workflow are smooth and efficient
- Ensure customer service standards are being met consistently with the highest quality
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and good sense of humor
- Ability to lead a staff team to work as a high-functioning group
- Ability to manage, motivate, and develop staff to their highest potential
- Able to observe subtle employee behavior and moods and pick up on tenuous staff dynamics
- Solution-oriented and positive, finds ways to handle critical customer situations with ease through empathy and creativity
- Ability to thrive in fast paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; writing and/or editing experience a plus
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership skills
- Ability to connect well with customers
- Strong professional judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality and build trust among staff at all levels
- Must be a strong systems thinker with the ability to improve and develop new systems and processes to support workflow, quality teamwork, and staff communication
- Ability to think strategically, with big-picture perspective
- Resourceful problem-solver and strong ability to resolve or smooth issues in the moment
- Must pay strong attention to detail and have excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask and manage a variety of projects simultaneously, and ability to work in an interruption-prone environment.
- 2-5 years experience managing people, including managing individuals and a team
- Experience leading teams
- Experience moving projects forward
- Skill at and experience with soliciting and implementing feedback to improve performance
- 2+ years retail experience
- Experience working in a small, independent store is a plus
- Training development/facilitation experience
- Familiarity with an array of workflow and project management techniques
- Experience with POS software/systems
- Basic handyperson skills a plus
- Proficient with Mac OS a plus
Classification & Compensation
- This is a regular, full-time, exempt position
- The Operations Manager will be expected to work at least one weekend day, as well as select evenings when community events are scheduled.
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance for full time employees
- Paid time-off for full time employees
- Commuter benefit through Clipper
- Generous employee discount
- We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
General supervision provided by Owner.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Standing for long periods of time
- Climbing stairs
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “People & Operations Manager” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. We will consider every applicant, but we will only reply to applications that we feel are a good match.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.