Now Hiring: Community Manager
We are still currently accepting resumes for this position but will not be calling applicants until we have a better idea of when we can re-open our brick and mortar store again.
The Rare Device Community Manager is a personable, people-loving, creative thinker that will enhance the ways in which our company connects deeply with the community that surrounds us. This person will ensure our community programs are well-attended, welcoming, interesting, and engaging – an expert at building and maintaining genuine relationships.
We are looking for that special someone who naturally builds relationships and is passionate about helping us become the go-to place for community programs relating to a wide variety of topics like craft, art, and design. This person will seek out opportunities for Rare Device to create an even more meaningful impact in the world.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone with a positive and flexible outlook and a growth mindset that is able to jump in and independently develop programs, and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business.
While cultivating community programs and relationships is not a job for everyone, this is a perfect job for someone who is a visionary and a doer. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
A little history and background about Rare Device: our company was created to help people find beautiful, unique and functional items for individuals of all ages and to uplift and support budding and established artists as professionals with important talent to share with the world.
With a thriving brick and mortar store in San Francisco and a fast-growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers opportunities for exciting professional development and to make a significant impact in a prominent and ever-growing San Francisco-favorite local business.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and also serves as a gathering place for the diverse community surrounding our store. To do this, we assemble a team of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service, excellent work habits, and collaboration with our entire team.
We value our employees immensely, providing health benefits and focused, meaningful professional development, giving each person the training and ongoing support needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
- Create an overall plan with input from Owner and staff to develop our community program and engagement strategies.
- Communicate regularly with Owner to keep her in the loop and gather input at every level of program development and implementation.
- Consistently design, implement, reflect, measure results, and refine the community program plan for increasing success over time.
- Partner with owner to seek artists, makers, designers, and thought leaders to work with.
- Ensure that artists, community members, customers, vendors, partners and affiliates feel welcome, and important.
- Maintain, grow, and evolve genuine relationships with artists, designers, and makers by being warm, enthusiastic, and reliable.
- Leverage the intersection of art, education, community, and customers by bringing them together to create cohesive programs.
- Partner with Operations Specialist to coordinate all requirements for shows and events to ensure that everything happens on time and is high-quality.
- Create, improve, and maintain systems to ensure all programs are running smoothly.
- Ensure that all partners, attendees, and guests feel included and cared for before, during, and after each event.
- Work with General Manager to coordinate staffing needs for events.
- Communicate regularly with Owner and General Manager to keep them abreast of the status of each event.
- Develop and maintain segmented customer database for all different types of Rare Device customers and affiliates.
- Partner with Owner to develop and implement marketing programs or community events to reach both existing and potential customers.
- Be the steady, caring, and creative point of contact for customer service needs in regards to community programs.
- Work as a Sales Associate to cover shifts and lunch breaks as needed throughout the week, understanding and supporting the store workflow and processes as well as the customer base (typically not more than one full day per week, and any number of lunch coverages per week).
- Comfortable and confident in initiating, developing, and maintaining relationships
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership communication skills
- Ability to genuinely attract and connect with people
- Strong interest in and appreciation for art and aesthetics
- Comfortable with and an active user of social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter
- Ability to focus and thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; writing and/or editing experience a plus
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and tasks.
- Clear, direct, and honest communicator
- Self-directed and takes initiative, noticing and taking care of all the details and issues without being asked
- Creative problem solver, finding ways to navigate situations in win-win ways
- Systems thinker, able to see the big picture, and makes changes to or creates process when needed, while considering and respecting how everything and everyone else may be affected
- Flexible and positive, knowing that sometimes things don’t go as planned.
- Focused, and thrives in a fast-paced, interruption-prone environment
- Follows-through, meaning is self-motivated and sees tasks and projects to completion, delivering quality work
- Has a high level of emotional intelligence, goes with the yes, and has a beginner’s mind/is always learning
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job and company
- Remains reasonably flexible with schedule, with a willingness to hop in and help when and where needed when possible
- Proficient with Mac OS
- Experience working in a small business
- Experience with POS software/systems
- Proficient with G Suite tools
- Handyperson skills, ie comfortable using tools like hammer, drill, etc. and has painting experience.
Classification & Compensation:
- This is an Hourly Position, full time, 40 hours per week
- We offer competitive hourly pay rates, commensurate with experience and fit
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance for full-time employees
- Paid time off for full-time employees
- Commuter Clipper benefit
- Generous employee discount
- We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously. We invest time and effort into working with each person to support and train for big growth so that each person excels in their role and beyond.
This position is supervised by the Owner.
- Physical Demands
- Some lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Standing for long periods of time
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Climbing stairs and ladders
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Put “Community Manager” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. We review every application, though due to high-volume, we follow-up only with those we are considering for an interview.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.