The Rare Device Buying Assistant is an organized details whiz who ensures that the buying team is well supported –a project-managing, systems-lover who likes to make sure all t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted!
We are looking for that special someone who is passionate about organizing, follow-through, and clear communication. This person is a self-defined doer and a natural at multi-project management and is giddy about administrative tasks.
As our Buying Assistant, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be a systems thinker, able to jump in, see gaps, and develop solutions where needed. People who are not self-starters, not flexible, not open to feedback, nor great communicators need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are a detail-obsessed and organized problem-solver with an interest in and appreciation for art and aesthetics.
Rare Device was created to help people find beautiful, unique and functional items for individuals of all ages. With two brick and mortar stores in San Francisco–one on Divisadero and Hayes and the other on 24th Street near Castro–and a growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers an opportunity to make a significant impact in a prominent and growing San Francisco-favorite local shop.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and serves as a gathering place for the diverse communities surrounding our two stores. To do this, we need a group of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service and teamwork.
This is a part-time role that offers 16-24 hours per week. We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who makes multi-tasking look easy, who is eager to support our buying team and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Create new product entries within our POS system, including adding product descriptions, SKUs, measurements, prices, and other pertinent information.
- Create product orders to submit to Buyer for final review.
- Create purchase orders in our accounting system.
- Keep track of spending for the buying department.
- Check product submissions.
- Other buying-related tasks as needed.
- Develop and maintain a filing system for physical and digital files.
- Create, maintain, and improve systems to ensure that projects and workflow are smooth and efficient.
- Create visual boards for Buyers based on specific direction.
- Research specific product lines based on direction from Buyer and Owner.
- Work as a Sales Associate for at least one full shift per week plus covering during some lunch breaks throughout the week, to understand and support the store workflow and processes as well as our customer base.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, interruption-prone environment.
- Pays strong attention to detail and has excellent organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage a variety of projects.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow-through and is self-motivated and sticks to tasks.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and is team player.
- Is a resourceful problem-solver and has a strong ability to resolve or smooth issues in the moment.
- Able to handle critical customer situations with ease, respect, and win-win solutions.
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job.
- 1+ years of administrative support experience.
- 1+ years of customer service experience.
- Experience working in a small, independent store.
- Familiarity with an array of workflow and project management techniques.
- Proficient with Mac OS is a plus.
Classification, Compensation & Benefits
- This is a regular, part-time, hourly position. Able to work weekends when needed.
- Commuter benefit, plus additional benefits in the near future.
- Competitive Salary
- General supervision provided by Owner.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Climbing stairs
- Climbing stairs while carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Put “Buying Assistant Application” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. Due to high volume, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.