Now Hiring: Buyer's Assistant
The Rare Device Buyer's Assistant is an organized details whiz who ensures that the buying team is well supported –a project-managing, systems-lover who likes to make sure all t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted!
We are looking for that special someone who is passionate about organizing, planning, and clear communication. This person is detail oriented and focused, a natural at multi-project management and shares both a love of administrative work and a deep interest to learn more about the makers we work with and the handmade goods that we carry.
A little history and background about Rare Device: our company was created to help people find beautiful, unique, and functional items for individuals of all ages and to uplift and support budding and established artists as professionals with important talent to share with the world.
With a thriving brick and mortar store in San Francisco and a fast-growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers opportunities for exciting professional development and to make a significant impact in a prominent and ever-growing San Francisco-favorite local business.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and also serves as a gathering place for the diverse community surrounding our store. To do this, we assemble a team of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service, excellent work habits, and collaboration with our entire team.
We value our employees immensely, providing health benefits and focused, meaningful professional development, giving each person the training and ongoing support needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
As our Buyer's Assistant, you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be a systems thinker, able to jump in, see gaps, and develop solutions where needed. People who are not self-starters, not flexible, not open to feedback, nor great communicators need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are a detail-obsessed and organized problem-solver with an interest in and appreciation for art and aesthetics.
This is a full-time role that offers 32-40 hours per week. We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who makes data entry look easy, who is eager to support our buying team and who is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Contributes to the overall culture and business growth using our Culture Guide as a tool for self-reflection and an ongoing commitment to self-growth, the growth in others, and the growth of the company.
- Contributes to the overall culture and business growth by participating in or leading improvement committees and projects when needed.
- Create new product entries within our POS system, including adding product descriptions, SKUs, measurements, prices, and other pertinent information.
- Create purchase orders to submit to Buyer for final review.
- Ensure invoices are paid on time.
- Update order status based on real-time stock and inventory availability updates.
- Communicate with brands, reps, and artists as needed to track outstanding orders
- Create a list of products to be photographed for our website, set aside actual products for our photographer
- Publish product entries to our website, ensuring that all product descriptions, photos and other data are accurate
- Develop and maintain a filing system for physical and digital files.
- Create, maintain, and improve systems to ensure that projects and workflow are smooth and efficient.
- Create, maintain and improve systems for vendor contact database
- Create mood boards for Buyers based on specific directions.
- Work as a Sales Associate for at least one full shift per week plus covering during some lunch breaks throughout the week, to understand and support the store workflow and processes as well as our customer base.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, interruption-prone environment.
- Pays strong attention to detail and has excellent organizational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage a variety of projects.
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow-through is self-motivated and sticks to tasks.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and is a team player.
- Is a resourceful problem-solver and has a strong ability to resolve or smooth issues in the moment.
- Able to handle critical customer situations with ease, respect, and win-win solutions.
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job.
- 1+ years of administrative support experience.
- 1+ years of customer service experience.
- Experience working in a small, independent store.
- Familiarity with an array of workflow and project management techniques.
- Proficient with Mac OS is a plus.
- An eye for design and aesthetics, ability to give creative input when needed
- This is a regular, full-time-time, hourly position
- The Buyer's Assistant will be expected to work at least one weekend day
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance for full time employees
- Paid time-off for full time employees
- Commuter benefit through Clipper
- Generous employee discount
- We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
General supervision provided by Owner.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 40 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling, squatting
- Standing for long periods of time
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Climbing stairs and ladders
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Buyer's Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. Due to high volume, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.