Now Hiring: Buyer
The Rare Device Buyer is a highly-organized person and a strategic, creative thinker that will enhance the way our company researches and procures products to sell. This person keeps the pulse on what our audience wants and needs. They are in touch with our sales metrics and sales goals, and know how to use the right blend of this information to keep our customers on the edge of their seat, waiting for what we’ll show them next.
We are looking for that special someone who naturally builds relationships and is passionate about using systems, planning, and clear communication, and happily welcomes the operational and administrative tasks that go along with it.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone with a positive and flexible outlook and a growth mindset, who can jump in and help us continue to develop our strategies. They are a learner and wholeheartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business.
A little history and background about Rare Device: our company was created to help people find beautiful, unique and functional items for individuals of all ages. With a thriving brick and mortar store in San Francisco and a fast-growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers an opportunity for exciting professional growth and to make a significant impact in a prominent and quickly growing San Francisco-favorite local business.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent that also serves as a gathering place for the diverse community surrounding our store. To do this, we assemble a team of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard-working people who are committed to impeccable service and teamwork.
We value our employees immensely, providing health benefits and focused professional development, giving each person the training and ongoing support needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
While developing buying strategy and cultivating relationships is not a job for everyone, this is a perfect job for someone who is a visionary and a self-starter. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Create an overall plan with input from Owner to uplevel our buying program
- Be constantly aware of the wants and needs of customers
- Ability to interpret data, e.g. internal sales data, inventory info, supply chain, and industry trend forecasts, and use it to enhance our buying program
- Seek new categories, brands, and products to add to our offerings
- Keep track of buying budget and make sure the money is being allocated to the correct products at the correct time
- Create and maintain a database of all active and inactive brands
- Create and place purchase orders through our POS system
- Create and maintain product entries within our POS system, including adding product descriptions, SKUs, measurements, prices, and other pertinent information
- Ensure all products are ready to go live on the website
- Pay inventory invoices on time
- Resolve order issues with vendors
- Review product submissions
- Develop and maintain a filing system for physical and digital files
- Create, maintain, and improve systems to ensure that projects and workflow are smooth and efficient
- Work with Owner and Inventory Manager to create and maintain a product cycle
- Create and maintain genuine relationships with all artists, reps, designers, and makers
- Attend trade and craft shows with or without Owner to find new products and meet face-to-face with vendors
- Set up and lead buying meetings with vendors
- Ability to focus and thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; writing and/or editing experience a plus
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and tasks.
- Clear, direct, and honest communicator
- Self-directed and takes initiative, noticing and taking care of all the details and issues without being asked
- Creative problem solver, finding ways to navigate situations in win-win ways
- Systems thinker, able to see the big picture, and makes changes to or creates process when needed, while considering and respecting how everything and everyone else may be affected
- Strong interest in and appreciation for art and aesthetics
- Comfortable and confident in initiating, developing, and maintaining relationships
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership communication skills
- Ability to genuinely connect with people
- Comfortable with and an active user of social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter
- Flexible and positive, knowing that sometimes things don’t go as planned.
- Focused, and thrives in a fast-paced, interruption-prone environment
- Follows-through, meaning is self-motivated and sees tasks and projects to completion, delivering quality work
- Has a high level of emotional intelligence, goes with the yes, and has a beginner’s mind/is always learning
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the job and company
- Remains reasonably flexible with schedule, with a willingness to hop in and help when and where needed when possible
- Proficient with Mac OS
- Experience working in a small business
- Experience with POS software/systems
- Proficient with G Suite tools
Classification & Compensation:
- This is an Hourly Position, eventually full time, 40 hours per week, starting part time
- We offer competitive hourly pay rates, commensurate with experience and fit
- Eventually receiving Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance for full-time employees
- Paid time off for full-time employees
- Commuter Clipper benefit
- Generous employee discount
- We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously. We invest time and effort into working with each person to support and train for big growth so that each person excels in their role and beyond.
- This position is supervised by the Owner.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Standing for long periods of time
- Sitting for long periods of time
- Climbing stairs and ladders
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Buyer” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. We review every application, though due to high-volume, we follow-up only with those we are considering for an interview.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.