The Community & Art Department Organizer is a supportive and organized individual that ensures our gallery and events are well-organized, well-attended, welcoming, and engaging–an expert at building and maintaining genuine relationships and a whiz at staying organized and creating systems.
We are looking for that special someone who will manage our gallery, events and community programs who is passionate about helping us become the go-to place in the community for events relating to craft, art, and design. This person is a self-defined people-person–able to gain trust and represent Rare Device in the community.
As our Community & Art Department Organizer you do not need to know our exact systems before you start, but you need to be detail-oriented, highly organized and very personable. People who are not self-starters, not flexible, not open to feedback, nor great communicators need not apply. You are meant for this role if you are a detail-oriented and organized problem-solver with a strong interest in and appreciation for art and aesthetics. You are also a natural at building relationships and supporting other people’s work.
Ultimately, we are looking for someone who loves people, has a talent for event planning and production, and who is whole-heartedly enthusiastic about growing with our business. If this is you, we can’t wait to meet you!
This is a part-time to full-time role. This person will be mostly working out of our Divisadero St. location, but will be managing events for both stores. We value our team immensely and we take each employee’s professional growth and aspirations seriously, so we work with each person to give the support and training needed to grow and excel in their role and beyond.
About Rare Device
The business was created to help people find beautiful, unique and functional items for individuals of all ages. With two brick and mortar stores in San Francisco–one on Divisadero and Hayes and the other on 24th Street near Castro–and a growing online shop, a career at Rare Device offers an opportunity to make a significant impact in a prominent and growing San Francisco-favorite local shop.
We strive to be the go-to walk-in and online store for gifts and personal treasures that introduces new artist talent and serves as a gathering place for the diverse communities surrounding our two stores. To do this, we need a group of exceptionally warm, creative, and hard working people who are committed to impeccable service and teamwork.
- Initiate and own all points of communication for all events and gallery shows from initial contact to completion of event and beyond
- Coordinate all the requirements for shows and events, ensure that everything happens on time and is high-quality
- Create, improve, and maintain systems to ensure all events are running smoothly
- Ensure that all events run smoothly and all attendees and guests feel cared for before, during and after the actual event
- Work with store manager to coordinate staffing needs for events
- Manage all tools and supplies needed for gallery and event installation
- Buy and maintain all food, refreshments, and needed supplies for all events
- Communicate regularly with owner and store manager to keep them abreast of the status of each event
- Partner with owner to seek artists, makers, designers to work with
- Ensure that artists, community members, vendors, partners and affiliates feel welcome and cared for
- Maintain, grow, and evolve genuine relationships with customers, artists, designers, and makers by being warm, enthusiastic, dependable, and trustworthy
Marketing and Promotion
- Publish all event-related prodcuts on the Rare Device website
- Write and publish blog post, newsletter, event page and all other promotions related to the event
- Initiate, maintain, and grow fruitful relationships with press partners
- Create and send relevant event information to press partners
- Comfortable and confident in initiating, building, and growing relationships with people
- Excellent interpersonal one-on-one, team, and partnership skills
- Comfortable with and an active user of social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Snapchat
- Strong interest in and appreciation for art and aesthetics
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; writing and/or editing experience a plus
- Ability to genuinely connect with people
- High level of emotional intelligence with a positive outlook and good sense of humor
- Seeks out feedback and is excited about self-growth and improvement within the context of the company and job
- Must be a strong systems thinker with the ability to improve and develop new systems and processes to support workflow, quality teamwork, and staff communication
- Must be a team player
- Must be a clear, direct, and honest communicator
- Must be a resourceful problem-solver and strong ability to resolve or smooth issues in the moment
- Must pay attention to detail and have excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task, manage a variety of projects simultaneously, and work in an interruption-prone environment
- 1+ year of event coordination and production
- Experience with writing, samples are encouraged with application
- Interest and familiarity with the independent artist, designer, and maker community
- Basic handyperson skills a plus
- Proficient with Mac OS a plus
- Familiarity with an array of workflow and project management techniques
Classification & Compensation
- This is a regular, hourly position
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Commuter benefit through Clipper
- We are committed to our employees' professional growth and provide honest and consistent supervision and training.
General supervision provided by store manager
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs.
- Standing, kneeling
- Climbing stairs
- Walking, moving quickly
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
How to Apply
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Community & Art Dept Organizer Application” in the subject line of your email.
We thank you for your interest in a career opportunity with Rare Device. Due to high volume, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Rare Device is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.